Sunday, October 18, 2009

Falling back into that festive feel

I absolutely love days like today. Days when it seems like everything and anything leaves you feeling inspired. I woke up in a particularly good mood, despite a short night's sleep. Sundays are the perfect day--when you truly feel like you deserve a day of rest after a week of activity. For me it's a day of rest in anticipation of a week with a jam-packed (yet equally exciting) schedule. I spent the first few hours of my morning perusing the internet--adding fuel to my creative desires through the Martha Stewart website's arts and crafts and pumpkin template sections. Yes, she has been recently added to my celebrity icon list and yes, I choose to disregard any past felonies that may be lurking on her resume. I feel like my new-found love for entertaining and decorating hobbies have left me feeling like I'm growing more and more into who my dad used to be each day--a feeling so unbelievably overwhelming yet unbelievably stimulating at the same time.

With a kick of energy from my espresso, I hopped over to Fortino's for a quick grocery run on my mom's behalf. There's something about Fortino's that always puts me in a good mood. Normally I despise having to fight through weekend crowds, but today I reveled in it: young couples shopping for a family Sunday lunch (my favorite), beautifully coloured fall produce of pumpkins, squash, sweet potatoes and Ontario apples, excited kids running around the Halloween treat aisle, and moms with grocery carts loaded with this years selections of extra-giant pumpkins. Yes! Pumpkins are exactly what I need today. I must say, I definitely did not look as graceful as the moms inside as I struggled to pick up two pumpkins at once which resulted in a twisted wrist, a popped knee cap and a dirty outfit. It didn't matter-the pumpkins were worth it and today is one of those days when no amount of struggle can bring you down.

There is no doubt in my mind that my burst of energy stems from last night. I have added yet another person to my icon list and, although this lady may not be celeb-status, she definitely meets and exceeds those ranks in my books. Before a birthday night out on the town in honour of Erica, us girls gathered at her house for a little pre-soiree hosted by the fabulous Sandra. I was instantly impressed (and envious) of the gorgeous fall decor scattered around the house-pumpkins of all sizes and colours, vanilla candles, and even Halloween hand towels. I was blown away at the spread that enticed me on the (beautiful) kitchen table: shrimp skewers with a spinach aioli, arugula parmigiano and fig salad, cheese gougeres and a fabulous cheese and honey spread all of which was perfectly complimented with Vanilla Sky and Pumpkin Patch cocktails created by John. I swear I did not want to leave that kitchen, I wish we could have brought the club to us and stayed right there. There's something about that house that is definitely magical. So I would like to officially and publicly thank both Sandra and John for an amazing evening that left me feeling fulfilled both in my stomach and in my heart and mind (bring on the cheesy remarks) and with a renewed desire to let out my creative tendencies whenever and wherever I can.

So now, I wait for my new Giada cookbook and Canadian Living Complete Christmas Guide book to arrive in the mail via amazon.ca before I begin to plan my Christmas wine and cheese party. But my days will be filled with fall decorating, pumpkin carving and holiday cookie making until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment