Sunday, October 4, 2009

Bowing out to Break Through

Sooo, its been just over a month since post-graduation season truly began. After being a professional student my whole life, New Years truly comes for me in September when the leaves fall off the trees and are used to replenish the shelves of any store's school-supply section. Basically right now, my life feels like it is anything but counter-productive. I've always been the "pssshh do we reaaallyyy need a car to get around?" type--now, I find myself scouring the Autotrader website daily for something--ANYTHING--that will fit into my student-loan-plagued budget. Please, I'm sending out an S-O-S to anyone that can save me from the confines of my house which has become an all too familiar prison for me ever since the slow economical season of the year began and shifts were cut short at work.

But my restlessness is not only caused by my yearning to spend more time at Moxie's Classic Grill. This is the first time (that I can actually remember) in my 22 years of life that I am not back in school full-time for the year. It is a feeling strange beyond strange. For the past four years of university I had school to back up my 'I'm still young and have time to create a future for myself' motto. Now, when people ask me what I'm doing with my life, my answer is simple, honest and to the point--nothing. And it drives me absolutely crazy. I am anxious to be a part of something bigger, something so much more and something that I want to be doing--something I've been dying to do for the past two years.

This past Saturday I spent my first day working somewhat in the field in which I plan to make a future. When one my best friends asked me to help her coordinate a wedding, I had to tone my excitement down so she wouldn't think I was a complete loser. The day was great--ensuring everything was perfect for what may be the bride's best day of her life. It was a fairy tale wedding--big wedding party, vintage cars, extensive guest list, chic decor--the works. And just being a part of it all coming together was amazing. I went to bed feeling truly tired from a truly fulfilling day for the first time in a long time.

And so, after a thrilling experience and stemming from a month's worth of anxiety, I have decided to make my official Pseudo-New Years Resolution. It is time to pack it up--the past, that is. The times when I studied through the week and raced to the clubs and the parties and the alcohol on the weekends. My stomach can no longer handle it (last weekend is my proof of that) Now, although still a fresh graduate, I have to seize my enthusiasm for a successful future and use it to do something productive. I must put myself out there, grab any opportunity that comes my way-whether its single-handedly planning a wedding, or serving cocktails at a bar mitzvah. Yes. I am ready world. Look out for me, I'm determined and I'm coming.....right after I find the perfect career-woman blazer and shoes. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment